Rejection is like a sucker-punch to the gut. If you’re a writer, you know exactly what I mean. We can either throw ourselves a giant pity party, or we can redirect our energy and beat the rejections blues!
While I hope you never have to face the sting of rejection, odds are you’ll have a few manuscripts that get turned down. Sometimes it hurts so much that you don’t know what to do or where to go from here. Fortunately for you, I have loads of practice.
20 ways to beat the rejection blues:
20. Punch your pillow and have a good old-fashioned cry
19. Go back and kill your hero—he did you no favors
18. Eat ice cream since calories, carbs and fat grams don’t count on a rejection day
17. Take the rest of the day off
16. Watch a movie
15. Buy books—this is good advice for any occasion
14. Go out to dinner
13. Call a friend
12. Take a walk or jog
11. Spend time doing something else you’re good at
10. Subscribe to a writers magazine
9. Submit somewhere else
8. Consider your previous successes
7. Sign up for a writing class
6. Find a critique buddy
5. Read a book on writing to shore up your weaknesses
4. Remind yourself why you’re writing
3. Join a professional writers organization
2. Invest in a writers conference
1. Blast the theme song to Rocky and get back to work
There you have it—all my best secrets for dealing with rejection. Now share yours!